Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Beast Within...

I'm suffering from a wicked case of startitis.

This is not good.

I have too many projects on the go that really need to be done, preferably yesterday, before I release the beast within and let it have at.

Let's take a quick, yet embarrassing, count of what's been lying dormant for months, shall we.

My creation


Not to mention the two that have been snoring away for such a long time that it's going to take some kind of miracle to wake them up.

Sanquhar GlovesFibre Fish Mitten


Six (or eight, depending on who you are...you'll say eight, I'll say six) projects on the needles? WTF?

What's the big deal?

You may think this is not so bad and I would have to agree with a giggle and a grin.

The issue is how long I've procrastinated over finishing them. That is what's embarrassing. These projects could all be out of my hair and onto appropriate body parts in let's say, two weeks.

Tops!

But nooooooooooooooooooooo!

I have to be the master procrastinator. A procrastinator with a monkey on my back called the Cast On Beast whispering in my big ole fat ear to start new projects...especially socks.

Yep, socks. Not the mittens, scarves, sweaters, gloves or shawls that are turning to dust before my very eyes on my needles.

SOCKS.

Like these, these, these, these, these, these, these and these.

Scary thought is, that is only some of them...not to mention the anticipation for the next shipment of the Rockin' Sock Club.

So, anyone out there care to offer some suggestions on how I can calm this wee beastie so I can finally finish this stuff? I mean seriously, over a year to complete a simple scarf?

Pitiful. Just pitiful.

Knit on and have a good one!

5 comments:

HaveFaith said...

Well, I've had luck with two different methods. One is to allow myself to start a new project but I HAVE to finish TWO UFOs before I start a new item. That way I don't feel bogged down by all the old stuff and slowly I will get the UFOs done and still get to work on new stuff. Then the second method is to just pick a UFO and set a time allowance. Four hours on the UFO and one hour on the new project. But don't get all your UFOs out so that they can stare at you. Just work on one UFO at a time otherwise it is depressing so see how much you have waiting for you. AND.... in this economy, the only sane thing to do is to work on what you have and try to cut back on spending for new projects. I hope this helps a little (I'm working on two UFOs right now so that I can start a pair of Jorid's mittens). And I'm really looking forward to getting the UFOs done and the mittens started.

Unknown said...

I like HaveFaith's idea. I try to do the same thing...work on one UFO, and tell myself I can start a new project once it's done, or work on said UFO for x amount of time each day before I go to the project I really want to work on. And no, I don't think you have lots of UFOs, I've got just as many...and boy do those socks ever call...hehe!

Anonymous said...

On the lighter side, according to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, a broken leg provides ample spare time to finish UFOs... (LOL!!)
In reality, how about a bit of fun? Write the name of each UFO on a slip of paper and put them in an opaque container (NOT the toilet, OK?). Pull one out and finish it before you cast on or work on anything else. Allow your self a week's respite, then do it again. After what, a year or two, you should be done! :o)
No, I've never tried this, but then I refuse to have more than 4 or 5 things on the needles at any one time or I may give up knitting altogether...

Anonymous said...

BTW ... I'm totally in love with your entrelac fish-thing!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I just did a tally of my own UFO.. I have 12... and all I want to do is cast on for a new shrug.. I feel your pain