Blogger Backgrounds

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

And She's Off...

I, of course, have started knitting the Kauni cardigan. I've decided to try a different hem. I went with what you see here.


I think it looks pretty good...that and I didn't have to suffer knitting a corrugated rib. The thought of that gave me the heebie-jeebies.

Keep On Knitting...

12 comments:

marti said...

i love your reasoning!

Donna said...

It's looking really good, Michelle!

tammy said...

Okay, not actually stalking you, just followed the links over from Ravelry. Still loving the Kauni edging! Then I see that you are the only person I've ever encountered who has read The Doomsday Book! Brilliant. Bookmarking your blog now. ;)

dragon knitter said...

gorgeous!

Wannietta said...

I'm not a corrugated rib fan either - I like your alternative.

Anonymous said...

Looks Great.I haven't started my kauni either due to ribbing! What's your st.count etc. that you used for bottom.I would like to do this one as well.

Thanks,
Deb

Michelle said...

Hi Deb,

I'm making the medium size. The broken rib is a 6-stitch, 8 round repeat.

I cast on 246 stitches and worked as follows;

Rnd 1-3: **With colour A *K3, with colour B, P3. Repeat from * around.

Rnd 4: *K3 colour B, K3 colour A. Repeat from * around. This row eliminates the purl blip on next row.

Rnd 5-7: *P3 colour B, K3 colour A. Repeat from * around.

Rnd 8: K3 colour A, K3 colour B. Repeat from * around.

Repeat from **

Michelle said...

I should also add that because I cast on 4 extra stitches to knit the hem, when I started knitting the body, I only increased 7 stitches.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your help with rib from one Canuck to another.I live in BC.

Deb

Anonymous said...

Ok so now have you started the large sz? How many sts.did you do for the rib?
That's what sz.I'm doing.Too bad all that work had to come undone.

Deb

Michelle said...

Hi Deb,

I cast on 270 [+1 for the steek, to make it 13 steek stitches]. So, a total of 271. Then I only increased by 6 stitches when I started the body. I don't like my hems to gather in at the hem and this won't. If you want a hem that comes in more, then I would just cast on 267 [+1 for the steek] for a total of 268 stitches, then increase 9 stitches when you start the body.

Michelle said...

I just wanted to add that the only thing that changes in the pattern are the sizes. Everything else works out. IOW, the schematic in the pattern says the finished size for a medium is 43.30", but after doing the math, it's really 41.50". The large in the pattern is, 47.24", but after doing the math, I got 45.43".

Here is a pic I took of my hem to show how I'm incorporating the steek stitches.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1245/1206119094_4a64bf3cac.jpg