I taught myself about 5 years ago.
* What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first pair were a pair of ankle socks, seen here...
I used Paton's Kroy in the Candy Kisses colourway. They've held up pretty well. I usually only wear them as bedsocks though.
* What would you have done differently?
I would have casted on much looser or used a different cast on, altogether. Right now, I use the twisted german cast on exclusively for socks. Love it.
* What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I love Trekking XXL! Anyone got a ball of colour #126 they want to sell me? I was a little slow in getting that one and I'm obsessed about it now.
* Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I use and love the magic loop. I used to knit my socks on dpn's and have no problems using dpn's. I switched to using the magic loop because when my daughter was born I was freaked everytime she toddled toward me while I was knitting with dpn's. No looking back now!
* Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I prefer a flap.
* How many pairs have you made?
When I finish the ones on my needles, I'll have 29 finished pairs of socks. You'd think that I'd have knit more considering my stash looks like this...
Keep On Knitting...